PDA

View Full Version : FAI launches Investigation Into Sikh Turban Allegations

HammerNThongs
16/12/2008, 1:45 PM
Just found this on elevenaside.com (apologies if this is the wrong section)

FAI launches enquiry into Sikh turban allegations

December 16, 2008

The Football Association of Ireland is investigating an incident in a schoolboy football match in which a referee allegedly prevented a Sikh boy from taking part until his turban was removed.

The FAI has met with Sport Against Racism Ireland (SARI) and the boy’s family after the complaints were lodged.

The alleged incident occurred during a schoolboy game involving the Hillcrest club in Ashbourne, County Meath.

Karpreet Singh, who has played football for four years, was asked to remove his turban during the game and subsequently requested to be replaced.

The referee at the centre of the incident – who is alleged to have asked the boy to take off “the headgear” – refused to discuss the incident with the boy’s father, Surinder Singh, after the game.

It's an odd story I know, but I find the last paragraph particularly poor form on behalf of the ref. Sure, the ref is under orders to ensure that players are dressed somewhat appropriately for these matches, but surely he could have at least discussed it with the father afterwards stating his position is one he is under orders to enforce or something.

You know, pass the buck up the ladder for a change. :p

johnmayo
18/12/2008, 12:20 AM
if my memory serves me right, that used to be a trick question on the referee exam